Real-Time ENTERPRISE ASSET Intelligence
WITH RFID, YOU GET CONSTANT AND EFFORT-FREE IDENTIFICATION, LOCATION AND TRACKING INFORMATION. VISIBILITY INTO THE INVENTORY AND MOVEMENT OF ASSETS IS CRITICAL BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE.
The Basics of RFID
Automatic identification (auto ID) technologies help machines or computers identify objects by using automatic data capture. RFID is one type of auto ID technology that uses radio waves to identify, monitor, and manage individual objects as they move between physical locations. Although there are a variety of methods for identifying objects with RFID, the most common method is by storing a serial number that identifies a product and its related information. RFID devices and software must be supported by an advanced software architecture that enables the collection and distribution of location-based information in real time.
Tags and Readers
An RFID system consists of tags and readers. RFID tags are small devices containing a chip and an antenna that store the information for object identification. Tags can be applied to containers, pallets, cases, or individual items. With no line-of-sight requirement, the tag transmits information to the reader, and the reader converts the incoming radio waves into a form that can be read by a computer system. A RFID tag can be active (with a battery) or passive (powered by the signal strength emitted by the reader).
When RFID tags that contain a unique serialized EPC code are placed on items and assets, the information can be automatically, wirelessly and simultaneously captured with a fixed, handheld or mobile RFID reader.
Passive RFID Tags
The passive tags are smaller, lighter, and less expensive (and therefore more prevalent) than active tags.
Ultra High Frequency (UHF) RFID is especially exciting to the business world because it offers long read ranges with low-cost RFID tags, allowing organizations to tag and automatically track large quantities of goods and assets. Typical read ranges for UHF passive tags are 8 to 30 feet (2.4 m to 9.14 m) and beyond.
Unique RFID characteristics
- No line of sight required
- Read many tags simultaneously
- Reusable tags — read and write data to low-cost, flexible tags
- Rich data capacity
- Difficult to replicate, reducing opportunities to introduce a counterfeited product
Read range can be extended in some of the technologies through the use of battery-assisted RFID tags. However, because of the battery cost, the longer read range comes with an increased cost per tag. As a result, battery assist technologies are typically utilized for higher-value items that warrant precise monitoring and location information.
Main RFID Application
• Asset Management
• IT Asset Management
• Returnable Transport Items (RTIs)
• Track and Trace: Cold Chain/Food Safety
A POWERFUL ASSET TRACKING SOFTWARE PLATFORM
SmartX Hub offers a suite of IoT cloud software to accurately track, sensor and locate equipment, materials, and personnel. It provides a real-time inventory, supply chain and asset management visibility, all with little or no human intervention. The real-time visibility improves operations, stripping time and errors out of your everyday processes from inventory, shipping and receiving logistics to intelligent asset management.
• Automated tracking of goods or assets in transit at all points in the supply chain.
• Optimize workflow efficiency by monitoring asset conditions and status.
• SmartX Hub accelerates decision making by providing access to real-time information.
• Reduce rental/purchased equipment expenses with accurate asset inventorying.
• Reduce errors and labor costs through increased automation.
• Improve production uptime by improving maintenance cycle times.
• More efficient and cost-effective regulatory reporting.
• Improve Staff Safety & Workflow Optimization.
What application characteristics create an ideal scenario for RFID technology?
- Have high-value items to track
- Have reusable assets that have a determined or circular supply chain — such as returnable transport items like bins, totes, trolleys and carts
- Need a more automated process to track and trace items to meet government regulations and ensure timely asset availability